FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Branimir Kvartuc
LOS ANGELES LIGHTS UP CITY HALL FOR ITALIAN EARTHQUAKE VICTIMS
LOS ANGELES - On Monday evening, Los Angeles Councilman Joe Buscaino, Italian Consul General Antonio Verde and Monsignor Antonio Cacciapuoti joined community members to lead a candlelight vigil at Los Angeles City Hall in honor the victims of the recent earthquake in central Italy. Over 290 people were killed during Wednesday’s 6.2 magnitude earthquake which reduced towns to rubble. In memoriam of these victims, Los Angeles City hall will be lit in the colors of the Italian flag from Monday, August 29th to Friday, September 2nd.
“The thoughts and prayers of everyone in Los Angeles are with the Italian people,” said Mayor Eric Garcetti. “We have a strong and historic bond with them, and are all-too-familiar with the enormously difficult aftermath of a major earthquake. Lighting City Hall in the colors of their nation’s flag is a symbol of our commitment to stand with them in a time of sorrow, loss, and recovery.”
Los Angeles is home to a large Italian-American population, ranking fourth among US cities with an Italian-American population of over 95,000. One of the predominantly Italian enclaves is San Pedro which is represented by Councilman Buscaino.
“Last week's tragedy strikes at everyone’s hearts whether we are living in Los Angeles, London, or Rome,” said Councilman Joe Buscaino. “The heart-breaking images of children being pulled from the rubble reminds us that even nations with sophisticated disaster preparedness and world-class building codes need to realize that much more work remains to be done to ensure that every man, woman and child is safe when disaster strikes.”
As relief efforts continue across central Italy, donations are still encouraged by the Italian Red Cross and can be made online by clicking here. Donations can also be made to Save the Children and the Italian American Relief fund. Watch the event here.